Grow Number 7

June 14, 2014 - September ?, 2014

Bubba Kush (Indica)


NOTE: All activity for each grow will now be tracked and recorded in the opening table. Occasionally an item is linked indicating additional text or pictures. The first six grow logs contained a considerable but necessary amount of anecdotal material but now that the grows are using a standardized procedure to produce a perpetual harvest (see below) only the basic vital statistics and stage of growth pictures need to be updated.

ACTIVITY and Feeding Log
DAY Notes
3"  Started 2 BK clones in 1 gallon pots
Began BioThrive Grow
Topped both plants
Flipped lights. Begin BioThrive Bloom
Topped both plants. Began LST

1st Flower



Day 29

Lollipopped both plants


All organic - no flushing needed


Hang dry until 25% of wet weight,  trim
and cure in glass jars with Boveda 62% humidity packs for 30 days minimum.

Perpetual Harvest:  Namaste Indoor Gardens consists of two separate growing areas: (1) the original area now dedicated exclusively to germination and vegetation under 112 watts vertical CFL with a supplemental 200 watt overhead CFL and (2) a  24" x 24" x 72" closet specifically repurposed for flowering under 250 watts HPS (high pressure sodium).

The vegetation area has two shelves. Two new plants are introduced every 30 days and placed on the lower shelf bumping any existing plants to the top shelf. After these new plants grow a total of 7 - 9 nodes and are around 6-8 inches tall they are topped to increase bushiness and begin low stress training (LST) . After a total of 30 or 60 days of vegetation and training they are moved to the closet where the lights are on a timer set for 12 hours on/12 hours off every 24 hours. This change in the photo period is what triggers the flowering cycle. After 60 days of flowering the two plants are ready for harvest.

This insures a harvest of two mature plants with a yield of at least an ounce and possibly more every 30 days. The California medical marijuana license allows for 6 mature (flowering) plants and 8 ounces of dried flowers.
This is considered an adequate amount for most patients.

June 14th: Week 1 (Vegetation)

Last Monday I picked up 2 Bubba Kush clones from my former grower now doing business as Kali Klones  and transplanted them into 1 gallon nursery containers containing FoxFarms organic potting soil with an additional 30% perlite added. The clones were originally taken from the mother plant only 2 weeks previously (5-24-14) and are already well rooted.

They were placed on the lower shelf where they will do their initial vegetation - this section of the growing area gets most of it's light from the lower half of the 8 vertical 14 watt T5HO bulbs. That should be adequate for the early growth as the young plants don't need a lot of light and can be overwhelmed by bigger bulbs.

My grower recently toured a major medical marijuana outdoor grow in Northern California. He was advised that the key to a successful harvest is what you do with the plants in the vegetative stage - building roots and stems to support abundant flowers - confirming what I had already begun to suspect. Much of the online grow log focus however is on the flowering stage but, by then, if the plants have not received a good foundation it's not going to make much of a difference. 

He also recommended top dressing with blood meal as the primary fertilizer. I will have to compare that with the BioThrive organic products I am currently using to see if it offers an advantage. [Later - blood meal's advantage is that it is extremely high in nitrogen - two to four times that of most fertilizers. It is a slow release product though and useful in keeping deer away from outdoor grows. But it would be too 'hot' for indoor grow vegetation . However I did discover a frequent companion product - bone meal which is high in the natural phosphorus needed during the flowering stage.]

The containers were moistened with 1/2 cup RO (reverse osmosis) H2O 24 hours prior to transplanting and the root cubes had also been freshly watered. Both planted containers were equalized at 1080 grams and should be able to go for 3-5 days before needing to be watered again. With young plants and immature root systems it is important not to over water and drown the roots. That's why the plants will be weighed before and after watering using 950 grams as the dry base weight that triggers rewatering.


It has been 7 days since these plants (lower shelf) were last watered. Both containers are at 960 grams but showing absolutely no signs of wilting! Previously I would have panicked and probably watered them several times already. But I will be keeping a close eye on them because at this early stage there is not much margin for error.

Sometimes when photographing a small enclosure like this RV bathroom you can use a mirror to get distance and perspective. From this angle the small size of the grow shelf (12" x 16") is apparent. In order to double crop the height of both sets of plants must be constrained.

The older plants on the top shelf are being trained to grow over and down the edge of the container. Keeping the growing tips below the rest of the plant forces the secondary nodes (below the terminal)  to start to grow vertically as well. This keeps the canopy relatively flat topped like a well trimmed hedge. A flat canopy allows all nodes/buds to receive equal light during the flowering stage and thus all will develop equally in size.

6-16: Plants dropped below 920 grams this morning and were given 1/2 cup of RO H2O mixed with Super Thrive @ 2 teaspoons p/gal dilution (light feeding) bringing the containers up to 1080 grams each. They each are over 4" tall and now have four nodes.

6-19: Plants @ 970 grams and have grown almost an inch in height since last watering. Given 1/2 cup of RO H2O mixed with Super Thrive @ 2 teaspoons p/gal dilution (light feeding) bringing the containers up to 1085 grams each.

June 21st: Week 2 (Vegetation)

Plants have put on 2.5 inches in height over the past week and are growing strongly. Both plants were moved to the top shelf where they will be vegetated for the next thirty days - decided on a shorter vegetation for this grow with only one topping as a comparison to the previous 60 day twice topped grow.

The overhead 200 watt bulb has been turned off saving enough in electricity to power the additional grow room without any increase in monthly bills.  In a previous grow six plants were grown  to 16 inches and flowered using only 112 watts (10,800 lumens) of CFL side lighting.

This week 2 more  clones will be started for the next rotation with the current two vegetating for 30 days and the new clones at 60 days insuring continuous monthly harvests through October.

6-23: Both plants watered today bringing the container weights up to 1100 grams from the low 900's. They took a little over 3/4 cup of RO H2O mixed with Super Thrive @ 4 teaspoons p/gal dilution (heavy feeding).

June 28th: Week 3 (Vegetation)

Topped (removed terminal node) each plant at the 6th node temporarily stopping vertical growth at 7". The plants will now develop nodes 4 and 5 as new terminals (tops) resulting in a bushier plant.

July 5th: Week 4 (Vegetation)

Plants have recovered nicely from being topped and the side nodes/branches are beginning to develop and extend. Since these plants are only going to be vegetated for 30 days they will not be topped a second time nor will they be subject to the rigorous training of the previous grow.

The plants will be allowed to double in size during the stretch following the light change and be given some light training to keep the canopy open. Without a second topping though there will be fewer nodes but they should produce larger flowers since all of the plants' resources will be concentrated on them.

I used a simple light meter yesterday to determine that the effective penetration of the 150 watt HPS bulb in the flowering chamber is over 12 inches deep which encouraged me to grow these two out instead of restricting them to a flat topped canopy as are the other two they will be sharing the chamber with for 30 days starting next weekend.

Another chance to do a side by side comparison.  I think I like the sense of a well run scientific experiment that I get from keeping these logs. Luther Burbank of the Cannabis World I'm not but maybe a little bit of Walter Mitty ...

July 12th: Week 1 (Flowering)

Plants were transferred to the flowering chamber last night where they will be for the next 60 days as their flowers mature. In this picture you can see the Indica strain's characteristically broad leaves. and dark green coloration Since they are pure Indicas (not hybrids) I don't expect they will double in height like the Sativas do during the first 30 days (the 'stretch') of flowering but I do expect they will grow from their present 9 inches to perhaps 14".

I am going to keep them in the smaller 1 gallon pots to see how well they do ... there may come a time when I decide to flower 6 rather than 4 plants and the smaller size will allow the maximum number of plants on the existing shelf.


Both plants (foreground) were topped a second time to keep them squat and bushy.

Topping restrains vertical growth and stimulates the growth of additional nodes which means more flowers for the mature plant but I wonder if there might be a limit ... too many flowers for the available energy resulting in unequal and poorly developed buds?

The lower 6 nodes on each plant were staked down with wire ties today as they begin a period of LST (light stress training) to open up the canopy.

Even though this shelf is four times the size of the vegetation chamber it is still important to limit the size of the plants to insure that they all get an equal amount of light.

Note: I'm still having trouble capturing correct color renditions under the HPS lamp in the flowering chamber - even with all the adjustments and corrections available in Photo Shop the color balance is severely skewed towards the yellow side of the spectrum.

July 19th: Week 2 (Flowering)

Nothing to report.

July 26th: Week 3 (Flowering)

Nothing to report.

August 2nd: Week 4 (Flowering)

Nothing to report

August 9th: Week 5 (Flowering)

The flowers are now fully formed and developing daily.

These flowers are very compact and dense being about 1" by 1" in size.

Like many previous grows the pistils have already started changing from pale yellow white to light brown and orange.

Notice the light dusting of trichomes on the single leaves below the crown. This is the classic flower with clumps of single leaf calyx (pl) rising on stalks above a rosette of larger multi lobed fan leaves.

August 16th: Week 6 (Flowering)

Trimmed both plants removing most of the secondary nodes and associated branching leaving just 8 branches each with their terminal nodes. This form of manicure is called lollipopping and resembles the pompom at the end of a French poodle's tail. The flowers are starting to noticeably enlarge and have the sour lemon smell of Kush hybrids and are even a bit sticky.

August 23rd: Week 7 (Flowering)

I suspected from the smell and swollen calyxes that these plants were nearing maturity even though they have only completed 6 weeks of flowering. I looked up the growth statistics for this strain and was surprised to learn that it was an early maturer - somewhere between 7 and 9 weeks. Above is an image of the trichomes yesterday ... all are mostly developed but haven't turned completely opaque yet nor is there much amber . I would estimate the harvest sometime this week. This will be a somewhat smaller harvest than I was expecting primarily because they were only vegetated for 30 days and were topped several times reducing the number of side branches available to produce flowers.

Their sister grow (number 8) has already vegetated for 9 weeks (63 days) and will continue for at least another 2 weeks before they are transferred to the flowering chamber. These two grows were designed as a side by side comparison of a 30 day versus 60+ day vegetated plant.

August 28th: Week 7 (Harvest)

Since the previous grow was harvested this morning I decided to go ahead and harvest these as well. The buds were very sticky and fragrant but only weighed a total of 22 grams - final dried and cured weight will be less than 7 grams. Lesson learned - don't top the central leader or the plant will remain squat with few branches and flowers.

Since the plants in the vegetation chamber were transferred to the flowering chamber these harvested flowers were set out on wire screens and left there in the now dark room to dry for 3 -7 days before being stored in mason jars with a Boveda pack to keep the humidity at 62F..

After the plants were harvested the roots were shaken free of soil and examined. The overall root ball was 3 inches wide by 10 inches long and filled out the 1 gallon container nicely. No signs of the red worms introduced earlier.

8-30: The buds have completed their initial drying and are now at 27% of their wet weight. They were jarred with Boveda 62% humidity packs.

Back to Top  

Copyright © 2013/2014 by Boyd Grant.  All Rights Reserved